Sunday, January 15, 2012

Mexico


Hello all,

I'm back from Mexico and still very much alive with the exception of a slight cold and bowel discomfort. Yes, I said that. I have been back for about a week and I'm still slightly sick, though, I am slowly getting better.

Mexico was AMAZING.

I think I may be having a hard time explaining just how amazing it was.

I have traveled a lot in my life and have experienced many different cultures but, this was my first time experiencing 'Latin' culture. I might just have to say it's my favourite. Although i'm not 100% sure about that just yet. I was amazed by the love, kindness and hospitality of everyone I met.  Everyday felt like a great, big family reunion.  Mexicans have a special way of making anyone feel welcome and accepted. I connected instantly with a few people in particular- so much in fact, that when it came time to say goodbye, I was almost in tears. I felt as though I had known these people for years and I didn't want to say bye.  Their culture is rich with family and relational values.  The way they do church is also notable.  New comers are immediately noticed and welcomed-so much so, that, when it comes time for the service to start, the preacher has already met them all and can call them by name; and does!  They start the service thanking God for the newcomers (by name) and for the way He is growing the church.

I was in Mexico to Photograph and make a Video of a missions team that has been doing work in Guadalajara. I was there for a week and I probably banked 145 hours.  I was busy. Every morning I would wake up at 5 am, get my gear ready, charge batteries, eat, and head out the door.  Each day was different as I was fallowing the different teams around. Some days we would be touring hospitals, ministering to the church, cultivating land for church expansion and anything else we could help the church out with. I love this team so much because they were in Mexico to 'partner' and 'help' the Mexican church. Not to 'run' or 'take over'.  I think that has been one of the major screw ups in the past- Christians that go into a community and take over rather than partner.  The Mexican church has so much to teach the world about 'church' and 'community'.  Each night I would get home around 10 pm- eat dinner, talk till about midnight and then head off to bed. But, before bed...   I had to organize my gear, charge more batteries and organize data. I usually went to bed at 2 am.    Yes, I went to bed at 2 and woke up at 5.  I was running on adrenaline.




I was staying with my uncles family at a host family that attended the church we were doing most of the ministry work with.  Every morning they would have breakfast prepared for us before we left for the day, and dinner, when we returned.  They were a huge blessing to us.  

Right now, I'm recuperating and doing a massive amount of editing. Photos and Video.  And...   Preparing for my next adventure..  Hint Hint...   More on that soon!

Here are a few photos.



 Some kids I met on the tracks.
 The team praying over the city.
 In honour of the national anthem.
 Lost shoe, returned.


 A girl looks onward at the other children playing

 This guy has leukaemia. His parents are waiting for him to die.
Old man in the market
Pastor David and the elders of the church taking down a wall in preparation for their expanding church.

1 comment:

Angelina said...

This one is definitely my favourite. I think you captured this perfect. No one else seems to have noticed this man, but you did. :)