Saturday, December 3, 2011

Ironic Humility...




As a Christian, I am exposed, at the very least, to a weekly ‘Christian’ influence.  I am taught to be humble, to trust, to be thankful and to forgive.  In Christian circles, these are the very traits that are praised and valued.  A person who is constantly demonstrating humility and thankfulness is put on a much higher pedestal than the one that is expressing the opposite.  For me, I know that I will get far more respect from my Christian friends if I am constantly expressing humility.  My 'humility' has suddenly become very ironic.  I came to this realization many years ago but I have recently revisited it through my 12 step group. To be in a group that is constantly urging you to share your 'defects' requires a degree of humility.  I can say that I started out humble, but now, I'm having trouble knowing the difference or rather noticing which is which.  It's an interesting thought--to be proud of your humility. Clearly, it's no longer humility at this point.  How many of us are just coasting by; appearing to be something that we know we're not?  I wonder if there are more examples out there...

Bren

1 comment:

Andrew G said...

Unfortunately, there are tons of examples of this in Christian circles buddy.

Being genuine is often more difficult than we think.